Wide angle prime FX lens for Nikon D850

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 5,502
Re: Wide angle prime FX lens for Nikon D850

Jon1346 wrote:

Which wide angle Nikon prime lens would you recommend, given the considerations below?

I have not been as impressed with my 24-70E, in terms of colors or sharpness, as I expected for that price.

If you're not satisfied with your 24-70mm at typical landscape apertures, it could be your copy of the lens, your technique, or your expectations.  While I'd expect more issues with distortion with the zoom, at f/8-f/11 I have no complaints about color or sharpness with my Tamron 24-70mm or Nikon 24-120mm f/4.  For landscape, the 24-70E should be better than either one.

I own exactly one Nikon wide prime which hasn't been discontinued, and that's the 28mm f/1.8.  I've only used it sparingly for landscapes -- I tend to use my wide angle zooms instead.  I've been able to detect some focus shift when used near the minimum focus distance, so if I was that concerned about a particular spot in the foreground, I'd switch to live view.

If I could also use a new wide angle prime for astrophotography, that would also be a benefit, but that would be a secondary (or tertiary) objective.

I can't speak to astrophotography at all, sorry!

-- hide signature --

Light travels at 2.13085531 × 10^14 smoots per fortnight. Catch some today!

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +43 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow