E-M1iii L bracket sort of review

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,617
E-M1iii L bracket sort of review

I decided to take a chance on one of the no-name L brackets custom-sized for the E-M1 iii I found on Ebay; this one specifically: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Quick-Release-L-Bracket-Mount-Grip-for-Olympus-EM1II-EM1-MarkII/254374912011?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

There are several similar ones out there. Some don't have arca compatible vertical plates though.

It does fit nicely on the camera. the battery compartment can open, and it has an arca compatible base for landscape mounting. The portrait mounting requires a pretty big arca clamp though; the gap in the sides on the vertical mount is 30mm, so you need decent purchase on either side to get a good grip. Note that some similar brackets don't have the arca rails built in.

The downside is that it doesn't allow the flippy screen to rotate fully out to the side. It does allow the screen to get to maybe 45 degrees, but I would be cautious about doing that as it seems precarious. But the screen can come out enough to be flipped around so it can be closed on the back, or open.

In addition, the vertical plate can easily be removed; just one bolt with an allen head. I removed mine and would only use it if need be.

For me it's nice to have a better fitting arca compatible plate that runs the length of the camera; my existing plate fit awkwardly on the E-M1iii. It gives a slghtly better grip too by just extending a bit further down. Given the price, I'm satisfied.

And BTW note that the vendor I purchased from above used a shipper that took forever, even though supposedly the item was already within the US.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow