Olympus 12-45 PRO is darn impressive

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 8,337
Olympus 12-45 PRO is darn impressive

When 12-45 came out, I had two things to say about it. "Why didn't it come out together with E-M5 III when I bought it" and "I will probably buy it when the price drops below 500 EUR". Since it was 490 EUR on German Amazon on Friday, I decided to buy it. There's a 10.1% cashback for newsletter subscribers that I plan to apply for as well. So hopefully, 450 EUR when all is said and done.

For context, E-M1 II + 12-100 is my main general purpose "do it all" kit. E-M5 III + 12-45 is supposed to be a robust lightweight version of that.

I'll cut to the chase. I love this lens so far.

It's very sharp corner to corner.

And it has a very respectable close focusing capability. It's actually nicer compared to 12-100, not because of greater magnification, but because it's much, much easier to maneuver a smaller kit when working up close. And it's much easier to utilize this feature at wide end. With 12-100, I'd usually find that the lens completely or partly shades the subject at closest focusing distance. No such problem with 12-45, there's much more room in front of the lens.

So yeah, this lens is a perfect match for my E-M5 Mark III. This kit works perfectly when I'm on shorter outings mixed with biking or riding an e-scooter, where I can just carry it on a strap comfortably, regardless of how I move around.

Full res samples below (nothing fancy, just some from a walk). From RAW. No corrections of any kind.

Purple fringing visible in the corner

It can get much closer than that, but I didn't manage any decent shots from a closer distance.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow