How Olympus Tricked Me, and why I decided...to let it go.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jan Chelminski
OP Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 2,283
Re: How Olympus Tricked Me, and why I decided...to let it go.

Danielvr wrote:

Please define "telecentric" to us dumb folk

It means the rays of light leave the lens running nearly parallel to eachother, hitting the sensor perpendicularly. That way, light will have no problem reaching the bottom of each photon-well, even in the corners of the sensor.

Back when the Four Thirds standard was developed, this was important because it resulted in a uniformly lit sensor. Legacy systems like those by Canon and Nikon, with their designed-for-film lenses, suffered from vignetting, in particular with wide angle lenses.

Telecentricity became more or less irrelevant thanks to improved micro lenses (a layer of miniscule lenses on the sensor) that funnel and direct the light into the photon wells.

But, I think it was a more of a detriment, because it appeared to drive the development of larger, very expensive lenses during the 4/3 era, undermined Olympus reputation for compact designs. I couldn’t/wouldn’t invest into the 4/3 system because of this.

By the time m4/3 emerged, Sony had become a much more serious market force and Olympus brand had already been badly damaged, IMO. I’m very pleased with the m4/3 project, just a bit sorry it seems it won’t continue long enough to see the compact prime lenses I would expect would have been coming, before too much longer.

Similar to a comment I made below, Olympus did not need or want to build an E-1 sized camera and big SHG glass, and declare it a professional system. It was a decision that hampered Olympus, until the m4/3 correction. Actually, I am the most curious (not you, bob, lol) about this particular decision, I wonder who made that call, what options were weighed and how that went at the time, it would be interesting to know.

Jan

-- hide signature --

"The camera introduces us to to unconscious optics as does psychoanalysis to unconscious impulses"
------
"The art of the critic in a nutshell: to coin slogans without betraying ideas. The slogans of an inadequate criticism peddle ideas to fashion."
-------
- Walter Benjamin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Drawing is a constant correcting of errors, maybe a great deal of creation is exactly that."
-----
- John Berger
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...to photograph is to frame, and to frame is to exclude."
------
-- Susan Sontag

Jan Chelminski's gear list:Jan Chelminski's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow