How Olympus Tricked Me, and why I decided...to let it go.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 18,844
Re: How Olympus Tricked Me, and why I decided...to let it go.

Danielvr wrote:

Please define "telecentric" to us dumb folk

It means the rays of light leave the lens running nearly parallel to eachother, hitting the sensor perpendicularly. That way, light will have no problem reaching the bottom of each photon-well, even in the corners of the sensor.

Back when the Four Thirds standard was developed, this was important because it resulted in a uniformly lit sensor. Legacy systems like those by Canon and Nikon, with their designed-for-film lenses, suffered from vignetting, in particular with wide angle lenses.

Telecentricity became more or less irrelevant thanks to improved micro lenses (a layer of miniscule lenses on the sensor) that funnel and direct the light into the photon wells.

Yup, switching from CCD to CMOS reduced the "light well" issue to the point telecentric lenses were no longer a technical necessity.

Leica once published a white paper explaining there could not be a digital M camera because the sensor of the time could not accommodate the angles of incidence coming off certain M lenses. IIRC they worked with Kodak to create a (crop format) sensor with microlenses that addressed this issue: "The M8 has a ten megapixel CCD (with special offset microlenses to reduce vignetting)." The M10s use CMOS that are full-size, not cropped.

We have come far. To the OP's point, the common E-series lament back in the day was the lack of primes. With m4/3 there were tiny, fast primes by the dozen to choose from. We had a few years to wait for "serious" zooms, however.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow