RF 100-500 dust sealing question

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Hoka Hey
Hoka Hey Senior Member • Posts: 2,091
RF 100-500 dust sealing question

I have the RF 100 - 500 and love it.

After I had it a week, in bright sunlight at just the right angle I noticed a piece of fiber near the center of what appears to be the element behind the front element. I tried to get it to move by repositioning the lens and zooming it in and out, but it wouldn't budge. It stayed in what appeared to be the same place for about a week and now it is gone.

I have not used the lens in a significantly dusty or windy environment; just outside on the front porch and in the front yard. I store it inside sometimes by itself completely collapsed and sometimes with the RF 1.4 extender mounted which requires the lens to be partially extended.

If I saw the fiber after a year of use, I'd have no concerns, but seeing this in a brand new lens makes me wonder whether it was in the lens from the factory or whether the lens may not be properly sealed.

My EF 100-400 ii has visible dust between the front and second elements which doesn't seem to have any significant impact on IQ. Having read several things written by @Roger Cicala about lenses, I'm convinced that the single piece of fiber in the RF 100-500 is not a big deal in and of itself. Even though it was toward the center of the lens, it did not appear to affect the images in any way.

Part of me says it is no big deal. Another part worries that it's a $2,700 lens that has defective weather and dust sealing which should be returned.

What do you think?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Joe

Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow