D7500 iso noise

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Shunda777 Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: All...

toomanycanons wrote:

I want good IQ, just like the next guy, but as you say, Mako2011, it's all about practical use. After shooting with my D7500 a ton, I began taking it instead of my D6xx cameras along with me on my work trips. I'd found no "practical" difference between them. The slight difference in dynamic range means nearly nothing, the noise levels difference between my D7500 and my D6xx cameras was practically negligible, DxO numbers notwithstanding.

The OP is not happy with the noise level of his D5100 above ISO 250, with that in mind my recommendation to consider a D610 seemed to be a reasonable solution to what he is looking for. If iso 250 is the limit on his D5100, the D7500 isn't going to be much of an improvement.
As to the DXO numbers, I'd suggest they are spot on the money, just last night I was shooting astrophotography with both the D7500 and the D610 on tripods beside each other, my best mate had his D7200.

The results are clear, a full stop (at least) noise advantage which is a huge advantage in this instance, the difference between shooting at ISO 1600 or 800, or half shutter speed for higher iso value.
But even at ISO 100, landscape shots with the D610 are cleaner, have better colour, tone, dynamic range and are easier to work on in RAW.
My friend was so impressed after we compared results in lightroom that he found a used D600 with 4000 shutter actuation's on ebay and managed to get it sent to NZ for the grand total (including freight from Japan) of $570US, the cost of a mid level zoom.
When all that was available were used D700's (which held more value for longer) it made little sense to get an FX camera, but that is different now. Where the D700 had been outclassed by later sensors, the D610 has (as yet) not been.

Getting a D610 as been the largest jump in the performance of my kit since I moved from bridge cam to Nikon DX almost 10 years ago, and again, for the cost of a mid level zoom.

Shunda777's gear list:Shunda777's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon D610 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow