Cycle between channels - discontinued technique...

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bicho Regular Member • Posts: 496
Cycle between channels - discontinued technique...

I am about to do a shoot where I need to cycle between channels to cycle between different lighting setups. This is a technique I used a lot some years ago to trig different flashes in a cycle. I then used a PocketWizard FlexTT5 with an AC3 on top and used my Canon 5DMk3 or 1DXmk2. Worked like a charm.

But now it's time to use a Canon 5D Mk4, and the newest firmware of the FlexTT5 does not support newer cameras than 1DXmk2 or 5DMk3. It works just fine with my old 1DXmk2 - so I know it is due to the lack of camera support version 2.12 of PocketWizard Utility, where you set all settings.

I have tried to make it work using xsync out of the 5Dmk4 into the FlexTT5 (I really thought this would work), but no. The FlexTT5 does not trigger at all via the sync-port - and I cannot find any setting to turn on/off this in the PW Utility - so I take it, it just doesn't work.

The only way I can make my 5Dmk4 trig the FlexTT5 is by having one PocketWizard on my 5D4, sending a signal to another PocketWizard that triggers the 1DX remotely, and the FlexTT5 is on the 1DX who trigs the flashes... But this, of course, is totally out of sync with the shutter on the 5D.

I don't own the discontinued PW MultiMax that can do channel cycling, but I have a feeling it is more "old-old-school" than the "old-school" FlexTT5 and might work despite the camera used? There are some MultiMaxes on eBay, but I don't want to buy one without knowing it will work.

So - at the moment, NO system on the market can trig flashes on different channels in a cycle except the Broncolor radio system, which I don't own.

Any suggestions?

-- hide signature --

www.lightbybicho.com

bicho's gear list:bicho's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow