600 Mk III owners - does your lens rattle?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,011
600 Mk III owners - does your lens rattle?

I picked up my 600 this morning, for the first time since two weeks ago when I used it on the R5 for the first and so far only time. I used it on a tripod, and would normally have IS off for tripod use (also see below). In the intervening period it has been in a padded bag the whole time and has done one long round trip in the car but wasn't actually used, not even taken out of the bag.

So I picked up the lens just now and immediately realised there was a serious rattle from the 'narrow end' - something was very loose. I'm familiar with the issue of IS not parking if a lens is removed while IS is still active, so I attached the lens to a body (it was the 5D4), switched the camera on, and switched IS on (the switch was in the off position when I picked it up). Sure enough the rattle was very much reduced, suggesting the IS had parked. However, there is still a rattle which I hadn't noticed before in a year of ownership (though admittedly not much use due to Coronavirus restrictions amongst other things).

So (and TL;DR) - if you have a 600 Mark III, is there *any* rattle from the IS when you give the lens a shake?

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow