Would a homemade mask inside the camera scratch the film passing over it?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
biggles266 Senior Member • Posts: 1,288
Would a homemade mask inside the camera scratch the film passing over it?

I'm preparing for my project of shooting 120 film on a Kodak 3A body, to get film panoramas.

So that the smaller 120 type film sits nice and flat in the back, in an area made for larger 122 type film, I'm planning to make a panoramic-shaped mask, probably out of thin, firm black card. Has anyone had experience doing this, and so knows whether there is a danger that the cut-out internal edges of the card would scratch the film that's passing over it while being wound?

Alternatively, instead of card, I could use thin metal sheet like the ones I found on this hobby page, that would seem to be quite perfect: https://www.hobbytools.com.au/metal-sheet/

However, I'm not sure how to cut the internal rectangle - would the metal be thin enough that a Stanley knife (a kind of box-cutter) would cut it easily and smoothly? Or how else would I do it?

The same question applies if I do use the metal sheet instead - will it scratch the film? I suppose if I used metal I could lightly sandpaper the internal edges the film will pass over to make them extra smooth.

biggles266's gear list:biggles266's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow