Laptop with external HDD as a super-budget solution.....???

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dweeble Regular Member • Posts: 364
Laptop with external HDD as a super-budget solution.....???

Hi, I'm going to sound very dim and amateurish indeed but here's where I am:

Currently run a PC bought 6 years ago. I asked for basic but robust build and it is certainly both   My workflow is a mainly a mix of Capture Nx-D, GIMP and irfanview.

It can cope, but Nx-D is dreadfully sluggish. It certainly hasn't got the guts to think about stuff like Gigapixel, and is running out of storage. Have looked at putting new CPU in and the motherboard isn't up to it.

I've always thought PCs more robust than laptops, but it would be nice to be able to upload pix when out at events.

Budget is as tight as you like. Think of a thin razor and halve it

Does a super-cheap s/hand laptop exist with a SIM card (for mobile upload, also 4G is way faster than broadband here until we get fibre), a punchy enough CPU (??) to run the editing progammes accceptably fast and add more, and the ability to plug in a seperate hard disk for storage?

Monitor quality not an issue as I guess I can plug it into my existing monitor which is a surprisingly good Dell.

Ideas, suggestions, alternative approaches? No need for it to be the whizziest, given I shoot with D3S/D300 so only 12MP files.....thats my general approach, to be happy with top quality kit from a generation or so back.....

Please make any replies intelligible to a tech illiterate

PS Current plan is to keep exisiting PC running for non-photographic tasks. Does that mean the new one could be Linux based? Does that open up other possibilties?

Dweeble's gear list:Dweeble's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow