27/2.8 -> 23/2 worth the trouble?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Will X New Member • Posts: 23
27/2.8 -> 23/2 worth the trouble?

I originally got the 27/2.8 because it's a pancake to match my X-E3. I accepted the compromises for the compact form factor.  However, I transitioned to a X-Pro2 for the OVF. The Pro body is much larger and denser which defeats the purposes of a pancake for the most part.

I like both focal lengths quite equally. The 27 never ceases to impress me with its sharpness. The noise and external focusing don't bother me much. So the real motivation to change is entirely due to handling. 27 is my only lens. I heard complaints about the lack of aperture ring but never handled a lens with it. It is just slightly awkard to set everything else with dials and aperture, arguably the most decisive setting, with the rear command wheel. Does it make a big difference to the shooting experience? Another thing is balance with a heavier body. Does it also make a difference? Using the 27 and X-E3 is kind of like using a point and shoot for me. I think the combo is encouraging me to set it to f8 (or f2.8 in low light) with auto shutter speed + iso. I was wondering if switching to X-Pro + 23/2 would realistically change the shooting experience.

I came from shooting film Leica prior to Fuji and back to digital. If nothing else, Leica made me realize the joy of the process is more important than the results as a hobbyist. So I want to get some opinion on how to optimize for the shooting experience in the fuji world.

Fujifilm X-Pro2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow