Quick look at Adobe's new Sky Replacement vs. Luminar

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,567
Quick look at Adobe's new Sky Replacement vs. Luminar

Just briefly worked with Adobe's sky replacement and while it is much easier than the old method (gone are now the select and mask + feathering days!), it is not quite the same functionality as Skylum Luminar 4.

Photoshop puts the sky replacement on a new layer, and there are various adjustments made which tbh I don't quite understand, however, the sky itself is a scalable object on a new layer which is a good thing because for whatever reason, PS doesn't automatically scale it.

Of course, this being PS you can do all the usual things from before including toning and masking and if you do enough you are back where you were before right? But I managed to, without understanding half of what is going on, still do a decent sky replacement. The one thing I haven't figure out yet is how to get the scene to match the sky tone, PS says its supposed to be automatic, it wasn't and it didn't, and I haven't figured it out yet but certainly hoping to doesn't include doing another color layer.

In Luminar, you press a button, select a sky, and its pretty much done, and there is a slider if you want to match the sky tone to a greater or lesser degree.

Currently, the win is for Luminar for me, but if you are PS power user then needless to say you would use PS since you already know how to do everything.

Summary: PS sky replacement is like and advanced sky masking tool using Sensei to select and mask the sky for you, a big time saver. It is not obvious to me how to do anything else although I am sure if I looked I would find a tutorial.

Luminar 4 there is a one click and done solution for sky replacement. I never bothered or needed to find a tutorial.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow