How Olympus Tricked Me, and why I decided...to let it go.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jan Chelminski
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 2,190
How Olympus Tricked Me, and why I decided...to let it go.

So, a ‘full disclosure’ item...

Back at the beginning of 4/3 Olympus talked lots of ‘Telecentric’ talk. And they did, walk the ‘Telecentric Walk’ (as do I, btw, but I digress) in all fairness...To a fault.

This has, of course, been talked about to death, but I have just a few comments.

Around the time the E-620 was introduced, I described it a ‘grand slam’ here, but was privately a bit bothered.

Why couldn’t Olympus make this body in A1 form (use metal, or otherwise top grade build), instead of building the (to me) big E-3? The reason was the big, Telecentric SHG lenses, but this led to another thought:

Why doesn’t Olympus release a line of compact prime optics with ‘relaxed telecentricity”? These would be small and reasonably fast and bright.

What surprises me a bit today, Olympus could have done so in m4/3 very well once again, but failed to do so in a deliberate manner.

So yes, I was fooled by Olympus. The ‘T-C’ factor of lenses has a relation to performance at the edges and corners, etc, but the applied life of photography/optics does not need to revolve around this characteristic, far from it!

So, it is a bit annoying, in all honesty.

But I like this new, small 4:3 format, and the design and features of the new cameras. I am simply shifting back to older lenses, on various optical or simple adapters. Bye, 1X and big AF lenses. Hello, my old Zuiko’s, oh, how I have missed thee!

Jan

-- hide signature --

"The camera introduces us to to unconscious optics as does psychoanalysis to unconscious impulses"
------
"The art of the critic in a nutshell: to coin slogans without betraying ideas. The slogans of an inadequate criticism peddle ideas to fashion."
-------
- Walter Benjamin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Drawing is a constant correcting of errors, maybe a great deal of creation is exactly that."
-----
- John Berger
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...to photograph is to frame, and to frame is to exclude."
------
-- Susan Sontag

Jan Chelminski's gear list:Jan Chelminski's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II +5 more
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-620 (EVOLT E-620)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow