Wide angle prime FX lens for Nikon D850

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jon1346 Junior Member • Posts: 27
Wide angle prime FX lens for Nikon D850

Which wide angle Nikon prime lens would you recommend, given the considerations below?

I’m looking for a wide-angle FX prime lens for landscapes primarily, for use with my Nikon D850.

I’m not interested in 3rd party lenses, as I would prefer to stay with Nikon lenses.

I have a 24-70 2.8E but no other wide angle FX lenses. (I own a Tokina 11-20 DX lens for my D500, a 16-80 2.8-4.0 DX also for my D500, and a 35mm 1.8 DX for my D500).

I reviewed most of my landscape photos with my 24-70 and I tend to use the longer end for my landscapes, so I was more inclined to buy the 28mm 1.4E than the 24mm 1.4G. But, I’d also consider the 35mm 1.4G, or possibly a 1.8 version of any of those focal lengths, but I know the quality of the 1.8 lenses is not on par with the 1.4 lenses (though they may be sharper than the 1.4 lenses in some instances but I heard that the 28mm 1.8G has a severe focus shift).

Ultimately, I want colors that are rich and “pop.” Bokeh is less important for landscape photos, though if I bought a 28mm or 35mm lens, I may take some photos with portrait subjects in the foreground for which a nice, non-distracting bokeh is an added benefit. I have not been as impressed with my 24-70E, in terms of colors or sharpness, as I expected for that price.

If I could also use a new wide angle prime for astrophotography, that would also be a benefit, but that would be a secondary (or tertiary) objective.

Jon1346's gear list:Jon1346's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +8 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow