Family life and dSLR systems - thinking of selling up.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KiwiTux
KiwiTux Regular Member • Posts: 148
Family life and dSLR systems - thinking of selling up.

I really enjoy my landscape, architecture, and travel photography. For 22 years, I have never *not* had a SLR or dSLR system.

I've got a young family now, and I find myself with little free time to pursue the hobby. I don't have the disposable income that I had pre-kids, and I don't expect that will change significantly in the next few years at least. And, COVID has really put a damper on travel plans of course. My 5DSR is primarily a family photo device now for social media sharing, and I get nagged when I don't get the photos dumped and uploaded fast enough. Finally, I know this is blasphemy, but the phone cameras are getting so good for simple sharing my wife is taking better photos than I can. My camera is invariably in the next room, or the wrong lens is on, or I forgot to charge a battery, etc.

I'm seriously thinking about selling up for now, and that makes me more than a little sad, but it might relieve some of the guilt as well. By the time I have the time and resources to really enjoy the hobby again, I'm afraid my 5DSR and L lenses will have lost much of their value, or become irrelevant (or both).

Are any parents at a similar crossroads, or have you been in the past? Are you changing with the times, or digging in and just trying harder to find enjoyment from the hobby with family demands?

Thanks for any thoughts, or words of wisdom.

-- hide signature --

-Sean

KiwiTux's gear list:KiwiTux's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +2 more
Canon EOS 5DS R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CD1
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow