Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP albero Regular Member • Posts: 248
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Dexter75 wrote:

albero wrote:

Probably the answer is "Yes" considered the test shots of this review:

https://www.dxomark.com/huawei-mate-40-pro-camera-review-dynamic-range-monster/

I am impressed about the capability of this company to continue to improve even further an already top cameraphone like the P40 pro after few months from his launch. I'm excited to try the further enhanced dynamic range of those pocket cameras!

Huawei P40 pro 1s 1250 ISO handheld

Shooting in low light the highlight clipping is a common limit found for the smartphones.

Apart from the camera excitement I hope that for the next P50 line Huawei engineers reconsider three non sense design related solutions:

- the curved edge display for a perfectly flat one much more ergonomic in such small devices

- a hard plastic or aluminium construction for improved resistance to bumps

- a more common headphone jack with universal support

Please, Huawei hear the customers voice.Thanks.

That shot looks terrible, even before you click on it. Can see a ton of noise and mushy details. at 100% its even worse. Im sorry but I wouldn't be calling that camera the best and using that photo as an example. The cameras dont have any stabilization either. Lets wait for the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max reviews.

Also, the telephoto camera is very disappointing with a tiny sensor and very slow lens

Tele: 12 MP 1/3.56″ sensor, 125mm-equivalent f/3.4-aperture lens.

The 12 Pro Max has a 1/2.55" sensor f/2.2 lens with OIS that can also shoot night mode.

The shot is not executed in "night mode" in that case several frames are acquired in rapid succession and averaged to remove the noise. And clearly this is not the case.

My aim is to show the highlight clipping of the lamps if you shoot during night time. This is a limitation for some applications.

The wide angle and tele lens of the Huawei P40 are stabilized, otherwise you could not shoot such type of photographs handheld:

HUAWEI P40 PRO 5x zoom lens

You can check the details of the camera with OIS here:

https://www.dxomark.com/updated-huawei-p40-pro-camera-review-great-stills-outstanding-video/

Instead if you want an example of what this smartphone can do in night mode handheld please check the exif data (and noise) of the following images:

HUAWEI P40 PRO 4 second handheld

HUAWEI P40 PRO 10 second handheld

HUAWEI P40 PRO 8 second handheld moonlit landscape

albero's gear list:albero's gear list
Nikon Z6
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow