GPU USELESS For Lightroom Classic!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 5,676
Re: GPU USELESS For Lightroom Classic!

Simon Garrett wrote:

skyglider wrote:

Hi Simon,

Since you upgraded from an i7-6700 CPU to the AMD 3900X, just wanted to get your opinion.

I'm running an i7-6700 CPU and I have never experienced any slowdown when editing in Lightroom5, Photoshop7, or SonyMovieStudioPlatinum12 video editing.

Where is the additional speed of an upgraded CPU evident? I'm not saying that you made any such claim but I respect your expertise so would like your viewpoint based on your experience.

On my 3900X machine, LR is faster at building previews, and thus scrolling through the library with images I haven't looked at recently, and exporting is faster. I suspect that the speed increase in mainly with tasks that use multiple cores (12 against the i7-6700's 4), and faster throughput to/from the processor, faster memory and faster SSDs.

Single core clock speed of the 3900X is only 12-14% faster than the i7-6700 (10-12% faster than the i7-6700K) but multi-core speed (all cores active) is 350% faster. LR uses multiple cores mainly for export and preview-building.

Clearly (in my build) disk-intensive tasks will benefit from the faster SSD. The SSD I'm now using for LR catalog and previews is 7 times faster than the one I was using before, and 2 times the speed of the one I was using for raw cache.

LR is also faster and with fewer pauses generally, but what aspect of the new build contributes to that I'm not sure.

Ah, building previews.  Yes I can see the benefit of a faster CPU doing that, not only in LR but in any image viewing software including Faststone.

Thanks much for sharing your insights,
Sky

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow