Autofocus on Nikon AF-S 70-300 VR stops working periodically

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PerAE Regular Member • Posts: 435
Autofocus on Nikon AF-S 70-300 VR stops working periodically

Hi,

Hope someone can help me with this issue I keep having

I bought a used Nikon AF-S 70-300 VR lens about a week ago and it sometimes just won’t focus. I can typically be out using it and it works fine, but then suddenly when trying to focus on something everything is just a blur and the lens doesn’t respond at all despite several tries with half pressing the shutter button to get it to focus.

I’ve tried the following when this happens to get it to “wake up”:

-Turning the camera off and on again (several times)

-Turning VR off (and on again when that didn’t help)

-Changing focus mode from AF-C to AF-S and back again

-Changing from Manual to Shutter Priority

-Changing the lens to manual, won’t focus there either.( It actually looks like manual focus doesn’t properly work at all with it at any time)

-Taking the lens off and putting it back on

Nothing of this helped

Today, after several minutes of this, it suddenly jumped back to life on it’s own

When I came home I tried cleaning it and the camera with contact cleaner liquid, but soon after it acted up again.

I also tried it on my wife’s d3200 and it showed the same issue there after a while (I have a d5200 and have never experienced nothing like this with any of my other lenses)

Is there something that can be done with this, a known fix of some sort? (There’s no point sending it in for repairs, that’ll cost more than it’ll cost to buy a replacement)

Nikon D3200 Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow