Diagnosing EOS 3000N mirror/shutter problem

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Liam_Jones1997 New Member • Posts: 1
Diagnosing EOS 3000N mirror/shutter problem

So in an effort to get back into shooting I picked up a cheap Canon EOS 3000n off ebay. Arrived yesterday, looked good but needed batteries so today I headed into town to pick up a pair of 3 volt batteries and a roll to shoot. Camera powered up nicely with batteries, took and wound the roll, all good

Set it to manual mode and lined up a shot, exposure meter working, took the shot, aaand from what my ears tell me the shot was fine, shutter sounded smooth. But, the viewfinder remained black until I half cocked the shoot button again at which point light returned. I don't know much about the mechanics of cameras but it seems like the mirror doesn't want to automatically return for whatever reason. Happened again on the next shot, haven't tried a third because I wanted to do a google search before continuing.

Anyone have any experience with this issue? And most importantly will it screw my photos, if the mirror mechanism is just a bit wonky but the photos should be fine I dont really care, I don't mind needing to press the button after a shot to get the mirror back. However if it will screw my exposures I'll probably try and get my money back through ebay as the nearest camera repair store is a fair way away
Details: so no matter the aperture or shutter speed if I take a photo the viewfinder goes black as I hear the shutter and stays black until I cock the shoot button again at which point vision returns and the whirring sound that I assume is the film advancing. HOWEVER I just tried the kit lens it came with (28 - 80) instead of the 50 prime I'd been using and it seemed to shoot as normal

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow