Exposure Compensation confusion??

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,276
Re: Exposure Compensation confusion??

Barry Twycross wrote:

Autonerd wrote:

I own several film cameras with EC dials and I believe the older ones actually changes the meter output, not the actual exposure.

If I understand what you're getting at, is there a difference? If the meter reads different, it'll cause a different exposure.

Effectively, no. But I don't know if there is a difference at the nuts-and-bolts level.

My guess -- *guess* -- is that on my Pentax ME Super, setting some EC is the same (mechanically) as setting the ISO dial differently. So ISO 400 and EC +2 sends the same signal from meter to shutter computer thingie as ISO 100 EC 0. Whereas in my more computerized Minolta Maxxum 5, maybe more is going on -- EC takes the meter reading for what it is and calculates the shutter speed differently.

But this is all guess and speculation. Dunno if it matters.

I just put a roll of ISO 200 negative film through it, I set the ASA dial to 100 because I wanted denser negs. I've never actually used the EC lever on that camera.

Heh. I have a Minolta 400si which has no manual ISO setting, and I bulk-roll a lot of my film. If I have bulk-rolled HP5, there's no DX code so it defaults to 100 ASA -- so I have to set EC to -2. Works perfectly but if I actually need -EC I'm stuck.

EDIT: Well, not stuck, I can use manual mode. But you know what I meant.

Aaron

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow