I wanted to share some photos from a recent trip to Öland, Sweden :)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
chapada Regular Member • Posts: 248
I wanted to share some photos from a recent trip to Öland, Sweden :)

I wanted to share some pictures from a recent trip to Sweden. The island Öland impressed me quite a lot. There's a lot of history on the island, a good dozen iron age forts, burial sites, as well as the typical red Swedish houses. Since we are now in autumn in Europe every house had a pumpkin at the door! The island also seemed to be a birders paradise. I saw so many people with telephoto lenses. I heard most Swedish people visit Öland in summer so it was relatively empty.

This was our campsite for the night. Picturesque in the morning but when I was getting water for cooking at night all I could think of was the typical abandoned fishing village from horror films.

Got a nice sunrise.

The town of Borgholm. Famous for the giant castle ruins on the hill I took this photo from. Most tourist sites close mid September in Sweden so I wasn't able to enter. Still made for some great views.

There are windmills everywhere on the island. In the past there were around 2,000, today about 350 remain.

12th century ruins of St. Knuts Chapel, right next to the ruins of a large fortress (which was used as a trading center).

Ismantorp Fortress - this is what most of the fortress ruins on the island look like. You can still make out the walls and housing areas. Drone shots of this place look insane.

Eketorp - a rebuilt walled fort from 300AD. I loved how the fort looked, it reminded me of what I imaged castles and forts looked like when I was a kid.

No island is complete without a lighthouse. Öland has two (I think ?) - one in the North and one in the South. This was the Southern one and is called "Long John". Here many people were birdwatching.

chapada's gear list:chapada's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow