What causes my A7ii battery drains so fast?

Started Feb 10, 2019 | Discussions thread
AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Re: What causes my A7ii battery drains so fast?

basleigh wrote:

SONY A7 / A7ii / A7Rii battery a bit of a dodo (extinct species) otherwise why did SONY replace it with a much improved battery?

You sold those cameras as per your gear list and got SONY cameras with new battery.

Original battery drain happening even camera when turned-off and falls-off rapidly.

Sony replaced the cameras using the original battery for lots of reasons - Sony brings out new models on a regular basis (you may have noticed...).

The original Sony E mount bodies (back in the NEX days) were quite small. The NEX 5 was arguably the most popular, and it used the FW50 battery. In those bodies, there really wasn't room for a bigger battery. When they brought out the original A7 range, they used the same batteries, because people like being able to use the same batteries in multiple cameras. In hindsight, that may have been a bad choice - the A7 series necessarily draws more power with full frame sensors and a much bigger IBIS unit. Sony persevered with the small battery into the Mark II versions, but bit the bullet and changed the battery with A9. That's when they realised that people liked the bigger battery, and there were many people who were happy with the slightly larger grip that it required. I would be surprised to see any new A7 or A9 series bodies using the FW50  battery.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow