Photoshop's Sky Replacement.... It bothers me but... Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Jim Radcliffe
Jim Radcliffe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,024
Photoshop's Sky Replacement.... It bothers me but...

I have found that Photoshop's new sky replacement tool is quite amazing but at the same time it bothers me because... well, it's just not the real photo I took and I hesitate to use it because while the sky added is real.. it was not the sky of my original photo.. I know it is done all the time but.. there is a part of me that really feels like I am cheating and thus the photo becomes a fake..... or maybe "Augmented Reality" might be the correct term.

That said....

Yesterday I made the update and decided to try the sky replacement feature on the photo below.  It was taken in San Francisco a year or so ago at sunset. Seal Rocks is the location, just off the coast from Cliff House. I'm sure you can tell which had the sky replaced and the results are quite amazing.. although I did have to add the reflections on the wave highlights myself.

I don't wish to argue about this at all... I'm just curious as to the thoughts of others regarding replacing the sky in landscape photos.. how do you feel about it?

This is the original shot taken just after sunset of Seal Rock

Here is my edit using the sky replacement tool in the Photoshop update.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
www.boxedlight.com

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow