Is the Leica M10-R my best option? Other strong options for compact FF ILC systems?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rhett_rick Junior Member • Posts: 27
Is the Leica M10-R my best option? Other strong options for compact FF ILC systems?
  • Longtime shooter on everything from large format view cameras to medium format film to dSLRs and most recently a Canon EOS R mirrorless. 
  • Sold off the EOS R due to the enormous size/weight of the lens combo. The RF 50mm f1.2 was a superb lens but just too big, heavy, and obvious for personal/lifestyle/travel/reportage/etc.
  • I also found it a little frustrating to have to select the focus point either on the display or with the directional pad and ended up just doing a focus-recompose type thing with the focus locked with a half-press of the shutter. 
  • I know I want full frame and am even considering medium format digital. 
  • It has been many decades since I was shooting fully manual focus. I understand it's an adjustment and the rangefinder focusing will take time and lower my hit rate until I am more proficient. 
  • The size of the system is of critical importance. 
  • What attracts me to Leica is the small size of the body/lens combos and the exceptional lens quality, along with some specific characteristics of the lens rendering.
  • I have seen some shots from the M10 Monochrome, even some "standard" M10s, and the M10-Rs that are reminiscent of the characteristics of medium format images in terms of the transition from in focus to out of focus areas. 
  • I have also been exploring using M lenses on other bodies (Canon EOS R5, Leica SL2, Panasonic S1R) but have not been satisfied with the results I've seen. 
  • I have also considered the Hasselblad X1D II but am not satisfied with the system size and have not been blown away by the image quality as compared with the M10-R and M10 Monochrome (i.e., higher-res Leica sensors). 

Are there other systems I should be considering that have the truly compact size and exceptional lens quality as Leica? Is it nuts in 2020 to consider a MF rangefinder? Any other thoughts, ideas, etc?

rhett_rick's gear list:rhett_rick's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9) Hasselblad X1D Leica M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow