Exposure Compensation confusion??

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,443
Re: Exposure Compensation confusion??

Joe94 wrote:

Evening all,

I’m after a bit of clarification, because I’m a bit confused aha.

Essentially I know what Exposure Compensation is, how & when to use it in different ways, but what I’m confused about is what modes it can be used in...

I know you can use it in A & S mode, but I’m confused about using it in Manual mode, it seem to be that some things you read it says you can & some you read, it says you can’t? Is this to do with type of camera DSLR/mirrorless? Age of camera? Or something else?

For ref I’m using an Olympus OMD EM1 Mark3.

Thanks all

Some do some don't. See what your camera does. Point your camera at a blank surface, and see if changing the compensation changes the meter offset (or ISO for auto ISO).

Exposure compensation can't have any effect on your exposure, as you're using manual, you set the exposure. It can affect the meter, which includes what auto-ISO does if you're using that.

I'm not entirely sure I want exposure compensation to work with manual, and I'm not sure if it does on one of my cameras. I adjust the manual exposure by how far off the meter offset is. If I wanted a +1ev compensation, I'll twiddle the shutter speed or aperture so the offset is +1ev. I don't use auto-ISO.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow