BIF scores updated with burst rates - m43 does great!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
anupamkatkar
anupamkatkar Regular Member • Posts: 216
BIF scores updated with burst rates - m43 does great!

I've always maintained that the excellent article on Mirrorless Comparisons about the best cameras for BIFs needs to be taken with (more than) a pinch of salt, because it didn't take burst rates into account. For example, my D500 for better at tracking swallows in flight, but I'd routinely get more keepers with my E-M1 Mark ii because its silent shutter speed in C-AF is 18 fps. D500's is 10 fps on paper, but in reality it's lower when tracking is involved.

Add to that the fact that the 300mm f4 Pro remains excellent with the MC-14 and good enough for anything other than swallows with the MC-20, and you can put more pixels on the subject with a little practice and the right settings.

These revised scores are approximate and at the bottom of the article, but more in line with my own experience:

I was pleasantly surprised to see Fuji doing so well; I love their cameras but never thought of them as being right for wildlife photography.

It's important to keep in mind that wildlife photography is more than BIFs in good weather. Ergonomics with large lenses, weather sealing, stabilization, additional features like ProCapture, in-body focus limiters and manual focus clutch, mobility and freedom from tripods - they matter so much more than just AF and burst rates. This is why I find Olympus to be the best cameras for wildlife photography, at least for my style of shooting.

Edit: Almost forgot to add the URL: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/best/mirrorless-cameras-for-birds-in-flight/. These alternate scores are toward the end of the article.

anupamkatkar's gear list:anupamkatkar's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +22 more
Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow