My new workflow

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
srock Contributing Member • Posts: 657
My new workflow

As I was  upgrading to PL4, I reflected on the past year.

Previously, I used LR and PS. Personally, I didnt agree with the the subscription model. It was never about the money for me. But that is a different story that has been litigated endlessly here and should not be again.

As an Adobe user I really never really  looked around to see what was out there, until I decided to move. I tried a variety of  programs including Exposure, Capture one, ACDsee before settling on ON1 as being right for me. It has both strengths and faults. It is crazy good at masking and finishing, filters and simple layers. It is fair at demosaicing  although its develop controls are quite good.

I replaced PS with Affinity Photo, which is becoming real competition and now use Affinity Publisher as well in my printing workflow (amazing print  results , very simply and really cheaply)

Last but not least, I use PL3 (now 4) for the best noise reduction and when I need it , the best demosaicing. And yes there is a place for DXo NIK (especially silver effects pro).

LR and PS are a Swiss Army knife of tools. They are rarely "best in breed"

Once you understand what you are trying to achieve in post processing, you can use various tools effectively. I haven't found a single program that can do that.

I will never be a PS guru. I have several of these in my photo club. Their results are sometimes fascinating, but often not useful for what I want to do.

Does it cost me to use this approach. Yep. Do I care? Nope. It was never about the money for me and Photo is an expensive hobby. These costs are a drop in the bucket.

For me, this approach is working well and my work is much improved. I am delighted.

Clearly, YMMV. I just wanted you to know that there can be life on the other side and that its at least worth a look.

Steve

srock's gear list:srock's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +20 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow