GPU USELESS For Lightroom Classic!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Batdude
OP Batdude Veteran Member • Posts: 4,943
Re: GPU USELESS For Lightroom Classic!

CAcreeks wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

Processor clock speeds have not risen greatly since the i7-6700, but current processors have many more cores. Lightroom does not seem to use anything like the 24 processors on my machine, but uses around half of them when exporting or building previews.

Many moons ago, Austinian posted a screenshot showing how DxO Photolab was using all of his many CPU cores during Prime noise reduction. (6 cores each with 2 threads? I dunno)

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62618848

I'm amazed by in-camera noise reduction because it is so much quicker than (though not as good as) noise reduction in PC software.

As poster DeathArrow says in a well-liked post, DxO is an alternative. But if you're invested in Lightroom catalog etc, DxO is probably not a viable option.

The good: You will save a TON of money by ignoring the GPU.

Maybe someday Batdude will buy Topaz AI and finally make use of his $180 GPU.

Hahaha yeah I’m not sure I’ll ever use that piece of software but I would like to have at least a GTX 1080Ti  for that.  
 One thing that I’m seeing is that right this moment it is THE worst time to buy a GPU.  With the release of AMD’s new cards competition is going to kick in and I do see getting a really good deal by 2021 thanks giving.  Anyone that buys a GPU right now is getting totally ripped off.  That’s only my humble opinion.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow