Help - Sony a7riv file size issues

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
hampshirejohn Regular Member • Posts: 367
Re: Help - Sony a7riv file size issues

A couple of assumptions to start. First I hope you mean 5 megabytes which would normally be 5MB (upper case) - lower case b is bits, 8 times smaller. Second, I presume you are talking JPEG, not raw of some form.

There are 2 ways to reduce the size of a JPEG file. The first is reducing its "size" in pixels. The second is appying a greater degree of compression. As a very rough guide I would expect a file of say 4752 x 3168 ( ie half the A7IV sensor ) to need a moderate degree of compression to reach your target. It would help if you could say what software you are using to do the reduction - there are plenty here who will be able to give precise detail on exactly what steps to take for a specific application.

Alternatively you may wish to try experimenting with the size of image you are taking ( I don't know that camera specifically but I assume you can take smaller than full resolution images) and changing the jpeg setting - standard rather than fine or extra fine.  However the general advice would be to capture the best image quality possible (storage is cheap), keep teh high quality images and reduce for specific purposes in software.

hampshirejohn's gear list:hampshirejohn's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow