• Small and well build
  • Weather sealed
  • Fast to focus
  • Sharp enough

-

• Not as sharp as the f/1,4 version
  • Not as useful for wide angle close up pictures with bokeh
  • Distorsion (corrected by the camera)

The 16mm f/1,4 is one of my favorite lenses but it's not a small one. I had an opportunity to pick up the f/2,8 version for cheap second hand.

Form factor is lovely. The lens is tiny, feels as solid as the rest of the f/2 WR lineup. It's weather sealed as it's big brother. The integrated hood is nice and unobtrusive.

Sharpness is good even wide open. When pixel peeping, I can see that the borders and corners are not as sharp as with the f/1,4 which is a razor but it does not really matter in real life. Like with the 23mm siblings, sharpness of this affordable version is sufficient for most uses even if the f/1,4 version is even better.

It focuses quite close even if this feature is more interesting coupled to a brighter aperture. You won't get a lot of bokeh with this lens, it's to be expected from a moderate aperture wide angle.

AF is fast and accurate. Only real downside is huge native distorsion, like with the 35mm f/2 WR. However it's well corrected in camera on JPEG and easy to fix when post processing.

Well done Fuji, the lens is not perfect but it's useful, cheap, good enough and fits perfectly in the f/2 WR lineup. Now waiting for a 70mm f/2,8 !

Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 R WR
Wideangle prime lens • Fujifilm X
Announced: Feb 14, 2019
Valdai21's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow