Beginner Instagram workflow questions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BigBrother70 New Member • Posts: 18
Beginner Instagram workflow questions

So! I promised my friend I would help them get going with their fashion Instagram page. I have a background in traditional photography and imaging but virtually none in IG. Boy was I in for some surprises when I realized how limiting/annoying certain aspects of the IG workflow can be! I'm in the thick of it now and trying to figure out some best practices. Perhaps you can help?...

1. Many of my friend's aspirational accounts post almost exclusively in portrait (perhaps this is true for most serious accounts due to the higher engagement for the format, I have no clue.) Anyway, most of the gorgeous 3:2 shots we took are now about to get butchered :). I know IG uses 4:5 for portrait, so I was wondering if most people set their cameras to the closest ratio (say 3:4) and only shoot in portrait orientation, thereby giving them the best preview of the eventual orientation and cropping. I can't see any reason to shoot any other ratio or in landscape given the target format, but perhaps I'm wrong (?)

2. I know IG eventually sizes images down to 1080x1350, but I have clue how good or bad their downsizing algorithms are. One site suggested making it this exact size before uploading, but then a YT video on workflow just sees the guy go straight from 4Kx4K into the app. So what's best practice these days?

3. My friend, for the time being, will be doing all their work just on their phone. It seems most pros edit on and upload from a computer (shows how naive I was- I thought IG *forces you* you to upload from a mobile device) but they don't have the setup for that just yet. So the current planned workflow will be: choose photos, crop to 4:5 (with an eye toward a good 1:1 preview for the page), edit in Lightroom, export (at the native resolution for IG?), preview the Carousal in Plann, upload in IG. Are we missing anything here?

Thanks so much all!!!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow