Usability of Zone Focusing

Started Oct 22, 2020 | Questions thread
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 19,063
Re: Usability of Zone Focusing

Christof21 wrote:

Gurusathiy wrote:

1. I've read a lot about "Zone/Hyperfocal" techniques and they all talk about "acceptable" sharpness while I want pin sharp photos. how to achieve this

This is not really correct that dof is about what is "acceptably" sharp.

On the contrary, the definition of depth of field is the range of distances within which the picture is acceptably sharp.

You can set the sharpness you want in fact with the circle of confusion.

You can calculate whatever you like; but what is actually acceptably sharp depends ion the picture, its size, the viewing distance, the acuity of your vision etc.

So you can set it to be "pin" sharp if you want. For instance you can set the focus to be sharp at pixel level.

This is meaningless. All you can do with focus is set it specific distance. At that distance sharpness will be whatever the particular lens can deliver; it will reduce for objects nearer or further than the focus distance.

But this is not magic !! It is not necessarily recommended because it causes diffraction (which also reduces sharpness..). So usually dof is used to get it acceptably sharp to find a good compromise.

From my experience, it is a good thing to reduce a bit the circle of confusion compared to the normal one suggested, but I would not go further than reducing it by half. Especially with high resolution sensors. Just consider to reduce it a bit, not much.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Bob
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow