Capture One - how do I stop the software from auto-cutting the corners of my photos?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ateriksen
ateriksen Forum Member • Posts: 51
Re: Capture One - how do I stop the software from auto-cutting the corners of my photos?

VisuallyOriented wrote:

fujiian wrote:

TonyGN10 wrote:

chapada wrote:

How do I stop this from happening? It's not present at photos taken at 50mm for example.

That's C1 applying lens correction for that particular lens (ie correcting for distortion which usually occurs more at the corners/edges) - wider lens usually have more distortion and hence you lose more when it is corrected.

But if you want to remove the correction, just go to the Lens Correction tool tab and either press on the 3 dots and chose "Disable default lens correction" (C1 won't apply the lens correction on future images) or use the Distortion slider to reduce the amount of correction.

Peppering in that C1 doesn't always pick the correct number on that slider. It's pretty smart, and usually gets close, but you'll want to keep an eye on and occasionally tweak it.

For example, my 16-55 (which suffers from a pretty heavy distortion on the wide and tele ends) is auto-corrected by this C1 slider. However, this automatic assignment starts at 100 on the wide end, plummets straight to zero for standard FLs, and then shoots up to 100 again at 50+mm.

This is consistent with the lens' natural distortion 'zones', but the 0-100 jump can over- or under-correct images taken with FLs on the boundaries between these 'zones'.

I had never noticed C1 automatically cropping my images until recently when I noticed the crop on images taken with my recently acquired 16-55 f2.8.

Again, the lens corrections happens more often on a zoom lens and even more on a superzoom. This is because that lens construction is a compromise of everything. They try to get it most sharp, least distorted, most contrasty, most saturation etc at every single point, This means it is good at all but not perfect at any point.

This is in contrast to primes which is constructed for that X focal length and can be optimized for everything at that exact length, in other words, no compromises. Primes will almost always have higher image quality and less distortion than the relative same range zoom lenses.

Aleksander

ateriksen's gear list:ateriksen's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow