GPU USELESS For Lightroom Classic!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Batdude
Batdude Veteran Member • Posts: 4,903
GPU USELESS For Lightroom Classic!

Received my new Ryzen 3900X system today and just started messing around with it.

I grabbed my 16MP Fuji XT1 and filled the SD card with 1,912 RAW photos and imported to Lightroom.   Let me just say that this CPU is a LOT faster than my previous i7-6700.

It only took 1 minute and 40 seconds to import all.  Translation:  I'm very happy

With the GPU enabled the import time is actually six seconds slower, at 1:46.

I just want to say that I'm so glad I didn't go crazy and obsessed about buying a really expensive GPU and I'm happy with the used $180 GTX 1070 I got and if I had gotten one it would have been money being thrown to the trash.  I personally don't do anything in LR that I feel is so advanced that a "high end" GPU is required.  Maybe there are certain functions that others might use or that I'm not aware of, but me (personally) I just don't bloody see it.

The good:  You will save a TON of money by ignoring the GPU.

I know, they are sooooooooooooooo nice and cool looking aren't they?

The bad:  Adobe looks really bad simply because it's software is pure garbage for GPU usage.  I feel really bad for whoever purchased a very expensive GPU for this application thinking the GPU will kick A** and then it must hurt to see that the GPU does nothing.

I purchased my GPU used so I'm cool with that, but if I had paid over $200 for a new one forget it I would simply unplug it and return it and get something cheaper until Adobe upgrades Lightroom to take 100% advantage of those massive expensive graphics cards.

Anyway, I'm sorry that the time here is midnight and I have to go rest so I'll catch up here tomorrow

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow