Sharpest Nikon Telephoto Zoom

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
S_Ryan New Member • Posts: 18
Sharpest Nikon Telephoto Zoom

Hi. I am new to this forum. I have already gleaned a lot of information by reading many different threads on this forum, so thank you for that.

I am an amateur photographer, but I am going to start taking professional photographs at work of musical instruments (essentially product photography; ie tripod, studio strobes). To avoid issues of perspective, I would ideally be shooting at a distance of 10~ feet (this is recommended by trusted sources).

I have seen a recommendation for a 105mm prime for this exact purpose, but I am not sure it will cover the range I need. I am thinking I probably need something from 105-200.

So to the point, I am hoping to get lens recommendations/discussion. I am open to zooms or primes, but hoping for recommendations on zooms, considering primes are somewhat obvious.

I’ll be shooting at f8 or f11, so for this purpose, I don’t really need a fast lens. Technically, I don’t even need AF, but it would be nice. I am looking for the highest clarity/sharpness and low distortion.

I should mention im shooting on a Nikon D810 and am only really interested in Nikon lenses at the moment. I’m currently mostly shooting with a 24-70mm f2.8 (non VR). But I also have a 70-210mm f4 (for fun, not sure how it compares to other telezooms).

I have considered lots of lenses already:

70-200mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 70-210mm f4, 70-210mm f4-5.6, 180mm f2.8, 135mm f2, all of the 70-300’s

and many more..

I know people are quick to recommend the latest and greatest, but I really just need the absolute best glass. I don’t need any extra bells or whistles. But if the 70-200 f2.8 VR II truly is the best, then so be it.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow