GH5S value in 2020

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Samuel Dilworth
Samuel Dilworth Contributing Member • Posts: 662
GH5S value in 2020

I didn’t think I’d ever be interested in the GH-series cameras, since they’re so bulky and SLR-shaped.

But I’m trying to get into more-scripted video, and the more I learn, the better I see the strengths of these cameras. And in particular the GH5S:

• 11.5 ms readout time for minimal rolling-shutter artefacts
  • full frame readout for artefact-free detail, low noise, and high dynamic range
  • decent slow-motion
  • AA filter to suppress moiré in video and stills
  • oversized sensor with about 19.3 mm width for video, maximising use of the image projected by Micro Four Thirds lens
  • great codec and profile flexibility topping out at 10-bit 4:2:2 V-Log L All-intra frame at 400 Mb/s
  • programmable LUT to make the display look normal while shooting flat profiles for later grading
  • good tools for focusing and exposing video
  • line-level audio in
  • solid heat management.

I don’t need half of this stuff – yet, anyway – but the cheaper cameras have limitations that seem potentially irksome from the get-go. On the other hand, some of them have IBIS.

What’s a GH5S worth these days? I’m in France and see a wide price range on the few cameras that change hands. Even new prices swing more than I’m used to.

What do you think will happen to GH5S prices if/when a GH6 arrives? (Collapse or minor dip? I haven’t watched previous GH releases.)

Anything preventing a GH5S being useful for the next five years?

Spend half as much on a flawed G9 and wait for GH6 clarity instead?

Thoughts welcome.

Panasonic GH5 Panasonic GH5S Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow