DXO Deep Prime/Prime Workflow Questions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
candgpics Regular Member • Posts: 170
DXO Deep Prime/Prime Workflow Questions

Hi:

I have used DXO Optics Pro and then Photolab for several years, although I have primarily used Photoshop and ACR and dabble from time to time with Capture One Pro (and Affinity Photo).

I generally shoot at either base ISO in a studio or outdoor setting where I can control the lighting or am in the 3200 - 6400 ISO range when I shoot MMA fights and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competitions and have to crop the photos at times which further highlights the noise.  I use Pentax cameras.

I usually post process in black and white and add grain. So, noise often is not an issue for me, but I do sometimes like to have as sharp a photo as possible and not add grain, which is when I use noise reduction. If the noise just needs a dab I will use Noiseware, but sometimes I need more help.

When I have used DXO Prime in the past (and I briefly used Deep Prime last night with the trial), I find that there are portions of a picture that are just overly smooth, almost like poor JPEG in-camera noise reduction, yet other parts of the photo look quite good. I am not aware of any way to mask Prime/Deep Prime in Photolab, although I guess I could export a version without noise reduction and another with noise reduction and do some stacking/masking in Photoshop.

I was wondering if there is a workflow element I am missing.

I can reduce the settings in Prime/Deep Prime under the Advanced Settings sliders, but it seems kind of hit or miss.

Do any of you have any workflow recommendations or do I just keep playing with the settings until perhaps I get it right enough (if possible)?

Thanks so much!

candgpics's gear list:candgpics's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow