Changing brand rather than wait for M5.2 Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
dwfrommonterey Regular Member • Posts: 349
Changing brand rather than wait for M5.2

Recently I went into an investigation as to whether going to a Nikon would address my M5 problems, which are shared by others on this forum.  Another thread suggested that the solution is a Fuji.  Commenters recommended a Sony.

Here's what I end up believing makes giving up the M so hard.

From competitors, one can buy exactly what we would hope for in an M5.2 body, for at or under $1000.  If anyone is in doubt, that body includes an integral EVF.

So then you get to, well, what are you going to use for lenses.  Sparse as the M lenses are, there are far more of them than Nikon offers for their Z.  Now Nikon might claim that their FF lenses are available to their APS-C body, and they are, but they're mostly $1000 each lenses.

What are available to all of Nikon, Fuji, and Sony APS-C bodies are adapted APS-C DSLR lenses.  They're affordable, and high quality.  Beyond the straight adaptations, most Canon EF lenses can be used on all the bodies with a $250-$300 adapter, fully functional.

But the native APS-C lens offerings are both meager and far more expensive than M lenses.

That's what ties us to the M.  We can complain about the lack of M lenses, but there are far more native M lenses than there are native APS-C lenses for Nikon, and for Sony and Fuji, the lenses are very expensive (I didn't research count).  For example, replacing the 11-22 on a Fuji would cost $1000, as compared to a full price 11-22 at $400 (I think I paid about $320).

So realistically, I can go to the competition, and end up using adapted DSLR lenses.  That might make sense, but it's clearly an interim solution.

Or I can wait for an M5.2.

dwfrommonterey's gear list:dwfrommonterey's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D7200 Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS RP
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD RLBur
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow