Finally - a Possible use for "High" ISO *** with the Foveon!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 17,936
Finally - a Possible use for "High" ISO *** with the Foveon!

*** To me, anything over 100 ISO is high.

I use my SD15 sans the UV/IR dust-cover. This affects the metering because the AE sensor below the mirror is almost blind to IR. Therefore when I meter a scene, the metering recommends an exposure as if the sensor is only getting visible light, whereas we should know that it's often getting a ton of IR into the bargain.

Ergo, it is necessary to apply negative EC to the settings so as not to over-expose the sensor. The amount of negative EC needed is dependent upon the amount of IR coming from the scene and upon occasion I have run out of adjustment at -3EV.

My un-tested thought is:

What if I were to set the ISO at say 400? This under-exposes the sensor by 2EV for visible light, but is reasonable enough when IR is included. Then I could go from -5 to +1 EV adjustment in terms of effective EC.

Any comments, especially from full-spectrum shooters?

-- hide signature --

There are more ways to kill a dog than hanging:-
English naturalist John Ray, 1678.
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +13 more
Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow