Fuji GFX lens for deep space astro

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
tokyowalker Regular Member • Posts: 147
Re: Fuji GFX lens for deep space astro

Greg7579 wrote:

Very interesting. I am driving 7 hours to Big Bend National Park sometime in the next three weeks. It has the best dark skies in the US (so they say).

I have been there many times and shot the Milky Way, but only single shot usually around ISO 3200, 23 seconds F4 with the 23 mm. Of course that is not enough light. F4 just doesn't cut it.

I keep thinking I will try star-stacking and/or tracking.

I didn't know about those filters, but I don't need them in Big Bend for single shot astro right?

https://www.darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html#6/32.222/-104.293

You won’t need a filter for there if you can find a place in a field etc not bloomed by a street light. Like a field etc.

Have a look at the map. I don’t know specifically where Big Bend is but I guarantee it’s a helluva lot better than Tokyo.

You can surely get away with wide stuff like the Milky Way etc without tracking. If you use a longer FL and want pinpoint stars you’ll need a “sky tracker “ or an equatorial mount.

In astrophotography F4 is considered very fast btw 😉 Generally a series of short exposure images are taken while tracking and stacked along with a dark and a flat frame for integration to remove noise. Most Fujifilm’s use X-Trans so RAW support in processing is mostly missing but you can convert to TIFF or DNG and it works fine. Even though the GFX is Bayer native Fujifilm raw support is missing in general. Check out :

Free software for stacking:

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html

A nice list of software resources:

https://www.spaceoddities.eu/2018/11/the-best-resources-for-astrophotography/

Not to mention DPReview has an astrophotography forum of course which I think is more focused on DSLR astrophotography.

if you go to Big Bend in winter you’ll of course see some amazing (and rare) skies at night.

Using a telephoto camera lens & DSLR is an awesome capability that’s a very recent development, and very common. When I started in digital astrophotography I had to build my own Peltier cooled camera using a Texas Instruments CCD. Then attached to the telescope. I have a cooled camera and nice fast scope now (Celestron RASA 400mm F2), but that’s a finicky dedicated setup. I’m looking forward to using the GFX50s because the resultant files can produce nice HUGE prints. More so with the GFX100.

BTW to get an image circle covering a GFX sensor at F4 in a true telescope design would cost >$8,000. So MF lenses are a great compromise.

Good luck & Clear skies. Hope to see your Astro pics soon. I’m cloud bound until December around here,

Edit: Actually if I were traveling 7 hours I’d gamble on at least one or two filters. Like a Hoya RA54. You may be in a place least affected by man made lighting but it’s still present in the upper atmosphere, not to mention natural radiation.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow