Fuji GFX lens for deep space astro

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
tokyowalker Regular Member • Posts: 147
Re: Fuji GFX lens for deep space astro

Richie S wrote:

So I would like to be able to use my 50r to do some deep space Astro. I have a tracker and I’d like to add an fast lens in the “full frame” range of say 135 to 200. Not sure I’m ready to plunk down all that cash for the 250 and given I don’t need af I’m looking for a good telephoto to adapt. I have a Bronica sq 250, but it’s it’s an older version and frankly not the sharpest tool in the box - -so any nice alternatives that could fit the bill and offer full sensor coverage.

I’m doing this because of my youngest son’s love of space as I think it could give us some fun nights in the yard as the nights draw in.

Any options would be much appreciated.

Hi, Astrophotography is a whole different kettle of fish. It’s not necessarily how fast the lens is but more your location and the amount of light pollution. And how many times you are willing to sit there and take a photograph to integrate. Not to mention the accuracy in tracking. All that said you can get excellent results rather cheaply especially if you’re looking at wide sky rather than deeper objects.

Those fast prime lenses like 200/2 etc aren’t really practical at all IMHO because more importantly you need to put an H-Alpha filter on them to achieve any truly nice results, especially if you live in metro or suburban areas. Not only is the image circle small, they basically suck at the outer edges for astrophotography. In my opinion you’d be much better served by adapting a medium format telephoto lens with a sharp center and generous image circle. Manual focus. An -excellent- example is the Pentax SMC Pentax-M* 67 300mm F4 ED [IF] , + an 82mm filter. That rig with an adapter and good filter would perhaps cost $1000. That’s just an example. you could get away with a cheaper setup by going with an older lens and a 77mm filter. And actually you could use a 77mm filter on a larger lens as it doesn’t have such a negative effect on the final image - just reduces the effective aperture a bit. Filters are not cheap btw. I have a $550 77mm one but there are excellent filters in the $200 range.

if you want to see images from a particular device have a look at astrobin.com . A great forum for astrophotography is cloudynights.com .

You won’t find many images from a GFX50 though, simply because it’s a lot of sensor to cover. Pentax 645z is more common. Also keep in mind the GFX50 has a “35mm mode” which may help when you stack.

Personally I will try the GF 250 simply because it’s the next lens I’ll buy for terrestrial use. But I also have my eyes set on a Pentax 67 600/4. That lens requires a huge mount - $$$$$.

Edit: Below are a range of filters including a “starter Hoya” which is both economical and effective. The other 2 perhaps are in the higher budget range depending on your aspirations. I think a filter is your first step - you can get really nice shots even with a wide angle, as well as practicing your tracking.

https://www.amazon.com/Hoya-Starscape-Light-Pollution-Camera-Filter/dp/B082XLK5KB?th=1&psc=1

https://www.astronomik.com/en/filter-gegen-lichtverschmtzung-filters-against-lightpollution-lpr/astronomik-cls-filter.html?___store=en

https://www.highpointscientific.com/lumicon-82mm-night-sky-hydrogen-alpha-ha-filter-lf3115

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow