DxO DeepPrime versus Prime, results and controls

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,283
DxO DeepPrime versus Prime, results and controls

Here's (another) real-world but approaching worst-case-scenario comparison of DxO PhotoLab 4 Elite with DeepPrime noise reduction versus PhotoLab 3 Elite with Prime noise reduction. These are 100% crops of photos taken with my Canon S120 small-sensor compact, first at dusk and in the rain at ISO 3200:

Click on "original size" under here to view at 100%.

and then later than evening, after sunset, at ISO 6400:

Click on "original size" under here to view at 100%.

I think it is fair to say that, upon this initial quick review, apparently DeepPrime reduces noise visibly more while preserving image detail visibly more. Processing takes considerably longer, but even on my eight-year-old computer lacking a supported GPU it wasn't so bad (although these are only 12 MP images).

Controls

One thing that struck me me about DeepPrime versus Prime is that the new noise reduction has far fewer controls: both have sliders for Luminance and Dead pixels, but DeepPrime lacks regular Prime's sliders for Chrominance, Low frequency, and Maze. I guess DeepPrime forces you into an automatic assessment of these settings? To be clear, regular Prime offers the automatic setting of these controls, but does let the user change them manually.

Prime still an option

If for whatever reason you want to use Prime instead of DeepPrime, PhotoLab 4 offers the regular Prime as an option.

Final note

No, I don't expect to get good results shooting a football game under these conditions with this camera! This was just about getting a few memories of the first game. Obviously between the slow-ish shutter speeds and the small apertures relative to the sensor these weren't going to be very sharp or detailed regardless. I chose them because they are recent, real-world, worst-case type photos, for me a least.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Canon PowerShot S120
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow