GM5 & L.100 question

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,458
Re: GM5 & L.100 question

kodachromed wrote:

The base ISO on my GM5 is 200 but I can enable the extended ISO L.100 in the menu. I use this in bright light when I want to keep using the mechanical shutter which only goes to 1/500.

I notice Panasonic isn't alone in making the extended ISO something you have to enable. So it made me wonder if there is some kind of penalty, for example to DR, when you use the extended ISO. If the base ISO is 200 then what is the camera actually doing when you enable the extended ISO?

When you enable L.100, you expose by +1ev over ISO 200. If you're shooting jpeg, the brightness is reduced to compensate. The penalty is you're more likely to get blown highlights.

If you're shooting raw, and careful about highlights, and are prepared to fix the exposure in post, L.100 could give you a better result.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow