ZS70 Actual Resolution

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jack Tingle Forum Member • Posts: 96
ZS70 Actual Resolution

A while ago I got a copy of the 1951 USAF resolution chart and tested the ZS70's lens resolution. Result: The 20 Mpx sensor is likely limited to about 6-8 Mpx by the small lens apertures. Here's a test shot that shows the effect.

Here's the shot.

SOOC jpeg at 5 Mpx  from Panasonic Lumix ZS70 (20 Mpx sensor)

If you enlarge on the bumblebee and compare the 20 Mpx raw (Silkypix) and the 5 Mpx jpeg (SOOC) you get this comparison.

Comparison of 20 Mpx raw and 5 Mpx SOOC jpeg

You can see that there is no real difference. The raw may be slightly cleaner in resolution, but not by much.

From this, I conclude that the USAF test card was good. 5 Mpx (maybe the 10 Mpx setting) is all the camera can deliver.

Not a bad thing, I really like the camera, but don't expect it to deliver an honest 20 Mpx image. You don't lose anything by setting it to the Small (5 Mpx), fine compression settings and getting more pictures per card and/or faster transfer. If you want to get slightly better images, just keep the raws and tweak them.

Jack Tingle's gear list:Jack Tingle's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX720 HS Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 (Lumix DC-TZ90)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow