R5 brings new life to old EF lenses - here 200-400L 1.4x

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Myrgjorf Regular Member • Posts: 419
R5 brings new life to old EF lenses - here 200-400L 1.4x

I have had the 200-400L 1.4x for some years now and I have used it with 70D, 7D mk ii and 1DX mk ii. I has been a great EF lens but I rarely got great result combining it with an external extender. I have MFAF'ed it for the 1DX mk ii with and external 1.4x many times but without consistent results. However, I have seen good results with the 7D mk ii  in live view + 200-400L w/ internal 1.4x + external 1.4x. The R5 gave surprisingly good results with both internal and external 1.4x at the same time so I got a 2x mk iii. The R5 + 2x mk iii get some more resolution from the 200-400L as you can see below. All photos @5 meters ~15 ft. Sorry about the dust - I could not see it. I could not even see the big letters on the helmet with my eyes.

So the R5 is not only about getting great results with RF lenses. The R5 also brings new live to old EF lenses. All photos below are taken from the same distance with flash and upscaled to the same resolution as the 1120mm photo and with the same processing in LR + PS. All taken with single spot AF on the R5. The R5 + 200-400L scales well with extenders on the R5.

Note: The car is a model of the Jordan F1 racer I drove on my own on an event 10 years ago.

-- hide signature --

Oh no! He should know by now that "equivalence" is a forbidden word for APS-C but perfectly allowed for 1” Sonys, compact cameras, smartphones and maybe even for M43s.

Myrgjorf's gear list:Myrgjorf's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS M50 +19 more
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow