Is the new 10-24mmF4 R IOS RW worth 44% more than the old?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
JohnS59 Regular Member • Posts: 444
Re: Is the new 10-24mmF4 R IOS RW worth 44% more than the old?

pgarth wrote:

In Australia, I can buy the old 10-24mmF4 R IOS for $1111. The new XF10-24mmF4 R OIS WR can be pre ordered for $1599, an extra $488 or 44% more. Just about every review I have read of the old 10-24mm IOS R have all drawn attention to the fact this lens doesn't have weather resistance, no marked aperture scale on the aperture ring, and no lock the to stop accidentally changing the selected f stop. It also give 1 stop better IOS.

As I have never used the old lens, I would be interested to know if you believe the $488 premium to be worth it in the long run?

The aperture scale and the better IOS is something to consider and you get what you see. WR resistance doesn't hurt of course but is may be a little bit overrated. First, few people actually use the lens in bad weather of dusty environments. Second, if this is the case, WR doesn't probably give the protection you need. Look at the warranty conditions and you know what I mean.

I have no indication that the image quality will improved too. The current one seems to be just fine as many have reported.

JohnS59's gear list:JohnS59's gear list
Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow