Playing with my new Viltrox 23mm

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Montanawildlives Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
Playing with my new Viltrox 23mm

Just took delivery on Monday and I've been playing for a couple of days with the lens on my XT1.

All SOOCs, all with sharp +2, NR -1, highlights and shadows -2.  All ISO 200 with one exception noted below.

Pro Neg Std, F1.4

This is exactly what I bought the lens for, that wide-angle shot with blurred background retaining some context.  Plenty sharp at 1.4 on the adorable eye of my patient girl.

Velvia, F5.6

Plenty sharp at 5.6 for landscapes, corners look great to me.

Velvia, F1.4

Background somewhat busy here, I was probably 4 feet from the stump.

Provia, F16

Sunstar looks good to me.

Monochrome, F11

Like it.

Velvia, F1.4

The only maple leaf in Montana, must have blown over from Michigan.  This one bugs me a bit, but it's my fault. My DR was set to auto and kicked in here, raising ISO to 400 (also had sharpness at +2 and NR at -1).  Nevertheless, I was surprised by the amount of noise in the blurred areas of grass/trees on the left and right.  Not the fault of the lens but it's this kind of photo that makes me pine for full frame...I am thinking that this same shot taken with the z5 and 24-70 f/4 at ISO 100 would have looked noticeably better (for the other shots I would not really say that).  I'm going back to this spot tonight to try to retake it, forcing ISO to 200, and maybe bringing sharpness down to +1 or 0 and NR up to 0.

-- hide signature --
 Montanawildlives's gear list:Montanawildlives's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +7 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow