Is the new 10-24mmF4 R IOS RW worth 44% more than the old?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Craig268
Craig268 Senior Member • Posts: 1,441
Re: Is the new 10-24mmF4 R IOS RW worth 44% more than the old?

pgarth wrote:

In Australia, I can buy the old 10-24mmF4 R IOS for $1111. The new XF10-24mmF4 R OIS WR can be pre ordered for $1599, an extra $488 or 44% more. Just about every review I have read of the old 10-24mm IOS R have all drawn attention to the fact this lens doesn't have weather resistance, no marked aperture scale on the aperture ring, and no lock the to stop accidentally changing the selected f stop. It also give 1 stop better IOS.

As I have never used the old lens, I would be interested to know if you believe the $488 premium to be worth it in the long run?

Or stated another way, will your photography improve by 44%? It's like buying a new car or new tv costing 44% more to replace what you had.

I've been using the current version of the 10-24. It's a magnificent lens and there's no way I'd trade up because the new and improved version won't improve anything for me over the first version by 44%.

Similar logic applies to the new 50 f/1 versus the 56 f/1.2 lens.

Older gear has its quirks but the latest and greatest new gear isn't always beneficial if you're functioning completely well with what was state-of-the-art a couple of years ago.

Craig268's gear list:Craig268's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T4 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow