Authenticity in photography

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 3,387
Authenticity in photography

Just watching this video reminded me of similar worries people had regarding photography, what is photography, if photography should depict the reality or not.

The author isn't original, but summarizes those worries in one video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Nvpfi6xPc

What are your thoughts about this? Should photography depict reality? If yes, how well can it do it?

If a photography is manipulated, does it cease to be a photography and become digital art? If yes, what is the downside of this?

Myself, I don't regard photography as art, especially because it is limited by reality in the sense that you can't photograph anything that you fantasize about and doesn't exist.

Also, photography doesn't always accurately depict reality. Your eye doesn't see water and clouds as in a 30s long exposure, it doesn't see the star trails as in a few hours long exposure, it doesn't see a person frozen in the air like in a 1/2000s short exposure, it doesn't see the subject like it's illuminated by flash, it doesn't see the distortion of a ultra wide angle lens.

Fixing the white balance means departing from reality.

I don't see anything wrong if an artist uses photography like a tool and it alters that photography to suit his artistic visions. Ok, it's not photography, so what?

I do believe however that is wrong if you manipulate a photo and pretend you didn't.

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D300 Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
tex
tex
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow